Saturday, December 21, 2019

Discover Seamless Patterns & Vector Illustration: Lidiebug

Discover Seamless Patterns & Vector Illustration: Lidiebug
Final product image
What You'll Be Creating

Curious about seamless patterns and vector illustration? They're popular for a reason, and have been for quite some time—they can be very versatile and eye-catching.

Seamless patterns have a variety of potential applications, from websites to fabric, from packaging to mobile apps. Next time you wrap up a present, take a look at the paper; chances are, it's using a seamless pattern. 

Ever been curious about how they're made, and the vector illustrations that are often a part of their creation? In this article, we'll observe the work of Lidia Snitsar, who often shares her work under the studio name Lidiebug. She has ten years of admirable experience and an inspiring portfolio of fun, whimsical art and design—so she's a great example to observe and listen in on. 

There's a certain sensitivity and refinement to a really well-made seamless pattern. Take a look!

Gift Wrap Pattern Collection
Gift Box Pattern Collection by Lidiebug

See, that's something special about awesome seamless patterns, in my opinion. It's more than just repeating a memorable illustration or an eye-catching visual. It's all about doing so in a way that looks natural and ambient, as it often serves as a supplemental part of a larger composition. It shouldn't look "choppy"—it needs to endlessly flow.

However, the degree of variation is something to consider too. Patterns can be very ambient or alternatively very visible. There has to be a balance between interest and ambiance, variety and rhythm—with success all reliant on the project's objectives. This is a lot more complicated than just "making something repeat"!

Llamas and Cacti Vector Collection
Llamas and Cacti Vector Art and Seamless Patterns by Lidiebug

And, personally, this is one of my favorite things about Lidia's work. Whether it's festive, holiday imagery, fun, character art, or a collection of undersea creatures, the visual interest is well balanced with the rhythmic nature of a seamless pattern. However, we can't discredit the importance of strong design and illustration skills here, too. They are, in many regards, the backbone of an illustrated pattern. Check out, for example, this adorable coloring book, featuring some of Lidia's fun and welcoming children's illustrations.

Toddler Coloring Book Vector Art
Toddler Coloring Book by Lidiebug

I had the pleasure of asking Lidia some questions about her work, her experience, and her process. There's so much we, as creative professionals, can learn from each other in listening and observing—it was both inspiring and a pleasure to hear her insights and thoughts. So let's listen in together to some of Lidia's takes on creating seamless patterns, fun, whimsical illustrations, and memorable vector art—and enjoy a delightful selection of works from her portfolio too!

Lidia Snitsar | Lidiebug

Lidia Snitsar Lidiebug

Lidia Snitsar is an illustrator and designer working under the name Lidiebug (and/or Lidiebug Designs). With ten years of creative experience, her portfolio is beaming with fun, captivating illustrated patterns, and the influence from her experiences in the early childhood field is clearly visible in her work. It's refreshing to see multiple influences and professional experiences come together to create something wonderful and inspiring.

Please tell us about yourself and your lovely work with vector illustration, seamless patterns, and design.

I’m a pattern designer and illustrator from Toronto [Canada]. 
I've been in the design field for over 10 years now, mainly focusing on surface design specifically for printable product surfaces like packaging and fabric. I tried to create art that is simple, but colourful with a touch of a childish draw.
Tropical Graphic and Pattern Pack
Tropical Graphic and Pattern Pack by Lidiebug

Your portfolio is really impressive, both in terms of quantity and quality. How did you get started as a content creator, in art and design? What do you enjoy about the work that you create and share?

I have always loved to draw and paint but [I] chose a different career path. I’ve got over 8 years and education in the early childhood field, so I kept myself creative and tried to implement my artistic skills into working with kids, and continued to draw mostly as a hobby. 
Monsters Seamless Pattern
Monsters Seamless Pattern by Lidiebug
I've always admired patterns, especially whimsical and floral ones. For a long time wanted to design them, but only after my daughter was born and I became a stay-at-home mom, I started to pursue a career as a surface designer. 
I did a lot of digging and learned quite a bit about the field and technical aspects of creating a seamless pattern. Since then, I have built up my portfolio, and now I am working as a pattern designer and illustrator under the name Lidiebug.
I like to see how my designs become alive as a kidswear, bedding or home decor, but seeing my wallpaper in someone's home is my ultimate favourite.
Unicorn Seamless Patterns
Unicorn Seamless Patterns by Lidiebug

It really is an awesome feeling, as an artist, seeing your work in action! So, what is one of your favorite creations that you have made, and why?

My llama collection is for sure my favourite. I enjoyed every moment working on it. I think it's achieved that positive vibe I was hoping to. My daughters love it too; especially [the] lovely yellow llama cushion that I sell in my POD [print on demand] shops.
White Llama Vector Pattern
White Llama Vector Pattern and Card by Lidiebug

Could you tell us about your creative process? How do you come up with ideas for new illustrative patterns or concepts?

Pencil, pen, brush and paper are all I need to get started. Sometimes, I start doodling even without any idea in my head, and, after a few pages, something usually emerges. If that doesn't work, I take my family and go outside. Ontario's nature is truly inspiring. A short trip to a lake or a hike in the forest... it doesn't matter. The point is to take a break and then start over. 
Outdoor Map Seamless Pattern
Outdoor Map Seamless Pattern by Lidiebug

Since you've been in your field for quite a while, what are some tips or tricks you wish you had known, earlier in your life as an artist/designer? 

When I was just getting started, I really didn't understand the entrepreneurial side of being an artist. 
I wish I could [have found] myself a good mentor to train me as a small business professional, but I took a long journey instead, and learn[ed] all I know through my own mistakes.
Fox Clip Art and Seamless Patterns
Foxy Clipart and Seamless Patterns by Lidiebug

I'd agree that it's a great idea to just get out there and learn! What are some of your inspirations, then, when creating a new seamless pattern or hand-drawn illustration? 

I'm constantly seeking inspiration in life and sometimes I see patterns where I least expect it. 
Being a mom of two wonderful daughters exposes me to a variety of children's themes and interests. Anything can spark [an] idea and often I am aiming to create a particular thing... only to end up with something entirely different.
Pink and Green Cacti Seamless Pattern
Pink and Green Cacti Seamless Pattern by Lidiebug

What advice would you have for new artists, designers, and content creators that want to actively pursue creating and sharing their work with others? What are your thoughts on trends in your field?

Do what you love and don't afraid to be unique. If you design something meaningful to you, other people will love it too.
For me, Instagram is the key to keeping connected with fellow designers as well as dedicated customers. I stay active and use social media to share my work, my process, my designs for the contests. Art wants to be seen!
I try not to concentrate on what's trending now, I just do what I love. I like to create for myself and my kids, and if my art becomes popular among others, I couldn't appreciate it more. 
Almost Mermaid Seamless Pattern Set
Almost Mermaid Seamless Pattern Set by Lidiebug

Thank you so much for all of your insight and perspectives! Do you have any final words of encouragement or wisdom would you like to share with everyone today? 

Be positive and mind your health because often artists tend to neglect that. 
Get away from your computer once in a while. Maybe go for a hike or do some yoga to get that peace of mind you needed so much.
Succulents and Triangles Vector Pattern
Succulents and Triangles Vector Pattern by Lidiebug

A very special thank you to Lidia Snitsar, also known as Lidiebug, for sharing her work and her thoughts with us today! Your spirited work is so fun, enjoyable, and inspiring.

You can check out more of Lidia's work here:

Let's Show This Artist Some Love!

You can also check out more of Lidiebug's work on Envato Elements—lovely works available to use in your next design project, even commercial ones! Did you see a pattern or illustration in this article that really caught your eye? Consider supporting Lidia's work, using it in your next design project, or adding it to your collection. Thank you for tuning in, and please do consider supporting her work!

Little Ballerina Cute Vector Illustrations

Let's start off with some of Lidia's adorable character art! These could be a great fit for apparel, birthday cards, digital scrapbooking, and so many other whimsical projects! You get more than just the ballerinas too—check out the supplemental illustrations included. How cute!

Little Ballerina Cute Vector Illustrations
Little Ballerina Cute Vector Illustrations by Lidiebug

Blue Sky Succulents Seamless Pattern

It's so easy to get lost in the details of this beautiful, ornate pattern. Inspired by succulents, there's so much visually interesting experimentation with color, line, and shape in this seamless pattern. It could be a perfect choice to contrast a solid color!

Blue Sky Succulents Seamless Pattern
Blue Sky Succulents Seamless Pattern by Lidiebug

Cheers Seamless Pattern

Looking to add a little sparkle and bubble to your next celebratory design project? Check out this classy, but festive, seamless pattern! I love the script type and the varied bubbles. Perfect for wrapping paper, invitations, announcements, and more!

Cheers Seamless Pattern
Cheers Seamless Pattern by Lidiebug

Llama on a Cloud Seamless Pattern

I don't know about you, but I would love to have a blanket or pillow featuring this cheerful pattern! Lidia's illustrations are so welcoming and friendly, aren't they? This pattern could be a great addition to any designer's collection. 

Llama on a Cloud Seamless Pattern
Llama on a Cloud Seamless Pattern by Lidiebug

Long Cacti Seamless Pattern

I'm really loving the retro vibe I get from this seamless pattern! These cacti are cute, trendy, and versatile—this pattern even comes with a matching card, so it would be a perfect fit for some custom packaging, special gift wrap, or even a custom garment! 

Long Cacti Seamless Pattern
Long Cacti Seamless Pattern by Lidiebug

Fantasy Flowers Vector Pack

This collection of vector flowers is packed with content—and I mean packed! 171 design elements alone give you so much to work with, but you also get seamless patterns and attractive flower arrangements too! This one is such a perfect fit for projects like digital scrapbooking, greeting cards, stationery, and more!

Fantasy Flowers Vector Pack
Fantasy Flowers Vector Pack by Lidiebug

Stellar Unicorn Stickers Set

What a wonderful example of seamless patterns and fun, whimsical vector illustration in action! Check out this sticker set by Lidiebug—and how perfectly it pairs with printed works like envelopes! Imagine a whole stationery set with this lovely aesthetic. This is one I'm printing out for my own bullet journal.

Stellar Unicorn Stickers Set Digital Scrapbook Elements
Stellar Unicorn Stickers Set by Lidiebug

Pesto Recipe Fabric and Tea Towel

Check out the organic look and feel to these lovely illustrations! They work so well as a seamless pattern, don't they? But they're just as cute collected together in the included poster composition! These could even work well on a menu design, fabric, or packaging!

Pesto Recipe Fabric and Tea Towel
Pesto Recipe Fabric and Tea Towel by Lidiebug

Pine Branches Card and Seamless Pattern Set

How classy and cute is this set of assets? Imagine wrapping paper, a card, and a gift card that all match—and are fully customizable too! Or adapt this into a beautiful pattern for fabric and apparel, stationery, and more! This is such a fun one for unexpected holiday colors, but it could work year-round, too!

Pine Branches Card and Seamless Pattern Set
Pine Branches Card and Seamless Pattern Set by Lidiebug

Flowers and Hearts Seamless Vector Pattern

Doesn't this pattern look wonderful on a drawstring bag? It's just so inviting and colorful! It's easy to picture this on a table cloth, on a journal cover, or even on a mouse pad! Such colorful, inviting, and eye-catching illustrations could prove to be an asset to so many different projects!

Flowers and Hearts Seamless Vector Pattern
Flowers and Hearts Seamless Vector Pattern by Lidiebug

Love seamless patterns? Into vector illustration? If you enjoyed this article, here are some tutorials you might also want to check out if you want to keep those creative juices flowing and create some awesome works of your own!



No comments:

Post a Comment